Sunday, February 6, 2011

Food Inc. From A Farm Girls Perspective

I had heard so much about Food Inc. before we watched it in class. None of the comments were ever good. So I tried to prepare myself for what I was going to see, and you know what, I was not surprised at all. Yes, not many people think about where their food comes from and the entire process. When most Americans think about food, there first thought is the grocery store shelf.

Coming from a farming community I know better than to think that. Many farmers in my area have a few heads of cattle or hogs, but mostly we are a grain community. When my family started farming we worked around 1,000 acres of corn, wheat and soy beans. Due to the economy, in the past years we cut down to about 100 acres of seasonal summer produce such as sweet corn, green beans and a variety of other vegetables. Looking back on our years in the grain business, I never knew how much we were involved in the food industry. So many items of food are made from corn which more than likely was made from some of our labor.

This film was very interesting and opened my eyes a lot. I do not agree with how animals are a thought of quantity not quality and are treated horrible. I would like to think that not every company is like that, but I can't say that is true. There were some farmers in the film that raise their animals correctly, butcher then and sell their meat themselves. Living and understanding that life, these are the kinds of people I agree with. Yes, some viewers might not like seeing animals be killed, but guess what, that is the reality. If you want to eat meat, that is where it is coming from. And that is a better and friendlier way of doing it instead of coming from the mass producing food companies that do not care about the animals at all.

I enjoy eating seasonal vegetables and am spoiled that it is right in my back yard during the summer. But honestly, anyone can grow vegetables and it saves a lot of money. The best feeling is that you know where your fresh tomatoes or cucumbers came from and exactly what went into growing them. I also enjoy eating meat and no, I will not stop. I have decided that I will cut down on my consumption of the bad forms though. Staying the beginning of January I have not eaten fast food and plan to continue this throughout the rest of my year. It saves on money and keeps me healthier. The littlest things that I or anyone decides to change about their eating habits can impact the food industry. If you want to see a better change, start it now and spread the word.

6 comments:

  1. I admire the fact that you do not let this film alter your decision to consume meat. Many may confuse the message; the film is not necessarily telling us to quit eating meat all together, though that is the route many choose to take. The film also features local farmers who allow their pigs and cattle to grow up in large enough fields, eating plenty of grass and grains, not the corn fed to factory-farmed animals. These practices benefit the animal as well as the consumer. Farmers like this avoid getting swept up in the idea of making more money, and instead, are more concerned with the lifestyle they promote. By supporting farmers like the one featured in the film we can support our local market and give respect to the animals we consume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family never owned a large farm, but we did raise a garden for ourselves, grow hay, corn, and beans, as well as raise cattle for meat and chickens for eggs.

    This being said, I also felt spoiled having a large variety of vegetables to choose from every summer. My family eats salad daily, and we grow a large variety of items.

    However, the idea of eating an animal we've raised still makes me a bit squeamish. I was raised an animal lover, but also understand nature is nature, and I'm an omnivore, not an herbivore. I have tried changing my ways, though more for an economic reason than environmental one. I don't eat fast food anymore, and I try to eat more vegetables. Even so, a college budget usually lands me in the aisles with the unhealthy but affordable items.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is very interesting hearing your opinion on this Emma, since you live on a farm back home. Most of us who are watching this don't have the experience or insight that you do on this matter.

    I love your bluntness on killing the animals to get the meat, it has to be done, but some people seem to think that we should never, EVER harm an animal yet they'll say this while munching on a burger.

    Keep with your decision to eat from better sources, maybe it will inspire others to follow your example.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like what you have come to as a conclusion at the end of you blog. Some people can't cut out meat completely from their lives but if you eat it responsibly then thats wonderful!! and really it is better for you in every way.. oh and by the way i am jealous that you have such a great sounding garden :) i love fresh veggies, my grandmas always give me sooo much but I don't really live anywhere long enough have my own garden ( thanks to renting lovely athens houses i move out of my house in spring). but fresh vegetables do always taste soo much better

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, we do need to spread the word, because one person can't a difference like a group can

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your title of this post "Food Inc. From A Farm Girls Perspective." It is straightforward and makes me want to read your comments!
    "The littlest things that I or anyone decides to change about their eating habits can impact the food industry." I think that cutting back on fast food is a great place to start for you to make some little changes that combined with others' little changes can make a huge difference. Your initiative makes me want to set a goal for myself as well, although I am unsure if I will have enough self control to opt out of fast food for a year. Maybe I will cut back on something else or try to purchase locally grown and raised food.
    As you said, the littlest change can make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete