Thursday, January 27, 2011

How much do I really need that?

I like to think of myself as a frugal person when it comes to purchasing items. Being a "poor college student," I try to buy food when I run down to nearly nothing, limit my shopping to when I need an item of clothing for a specific reason, and limit my impulse buying. It has helped a lot to not spend as much money, but even doing those simple tasks do not cut my consumption down a significant amount.

After reading Durning's essay, It made me think a lot more about how much I actually consume. It' not just the items I buy and use, but it goes even farther back in the process. Just thinking about everything that goes into making a cup of coffee I would buy at the Front Room makes me want to cringe a little. The coffee starts off as a bean which must be sorted through a machine that uses a lot of energy. From there it is packaged (using more energy). Packages are shipped to its destination (using lots of fuel and creating air pollution). The coffee beans are processed into the coffee purchased (using more energy from its machines). The coffee is purchased in disposable containers that most toss in the trash (creating waste). The trash is transported to the landfills (using more fuel and creating more air pollution).... and the process continues even further.

So I guess what I am thinking, is everything that is purchased or used has a lot more impact on the environment than we realize at first. We are a consuming population that will continue its consuming no matter what. We like our new products and like multiple forms of them. There is no way to eliminate consumption in our society, but we can try to cut back on it. Purchasing local products can help cut down on transportation and energy use. Keeping clothes longer and not having to buy the newest best technology is another idea, which also saves you money. What you really need to ask yourself before purchasing what you want is "how much do I really need that?"

7 comments:

  1. I agree that we should ask ourselves "how much do I really need that?" We should decide if the purchase is a want or a need. Sometimes it is hard to determine the difference because we are able to convince ourselves that we "deserve" the item. I tell myself that I deserve that cup of coffee because I work hard and I deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Richard, that often it's hard to make that decision of 'want' and 'need'. There's also the point that was made in class, that if we cut back in one area, we often splurge in another... I know personally, when I don't eat out for awhile, and have worked really hard, when I do go out to eat, I tend to spend more... I 'treat' myself, but the treat often is more expensive than if I hadn't of cut back in the first place...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think both Brianna and Richard are right. It is true that everything that we purchase nowadays goes through a ridiculous amount of processing and travel, but not buying it isn't going to change much. If you, as one person, decide not to buy it, it is either going to sit in storage, or someone else is going to buy it. You would need a mass committal to abstain from something for it to make a difference. So for now I'd stay frugal, but let yourself indulge every once and a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way. The problem is we know the way we consume is wrong, but we don't make much effort to change it. Our consumption habits are out of control. We see something we want and we get it. The only way to fix this problem is to get everyone on board. We have to work together to protect this place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I ask myself that question all the time, except normally it's to stop myself from spending money because being a college student, I am so broke.

    And I think college students do consume less on average than the typical middle-aged American. Probably the main reason is due money or lack there of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You raise a lot of good points in your article. There's a book out called "Stuff: The Secret Lives of Everyday Things", and all it does is recount the true history of some everyday things, such as coffee, cars, a cheeseburger, a computer chip, etc. If you REALLY want to cringe about our consumption in this country, you should check it out. It's super depressing, though they try to make it light hearted, if you would be interested in reading it, I have a copy lying around you can have. Anyways, I believe your strategy's for cutting back on consumerism in this country is correct, however, I do not think our consciousness will ever change. We are Americans and we believe it is our right to consume anyway we please, regardless of the environment or the true cost of these products which poor people all around the world are paying for. I believe the only way our country would ever change would be if the government stepped in and told us we can not consume in such a way anymore, but that would never happen, as the government promotes this kind of behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's interesting that you point out that our consumption habits will not change, or if they do, it will be in small increments. Is there a chance to save the planet at all? And if there is, what will it take to make it work? From an early age, we are taught that to be successful is to be able to afford whatever your heart desires, to be able to purchase without thinking, to live the 'American Dream.' However, as college students, our way of thinking is most often quite different. College students tend to spend money as frugally as possible, within reasonable means I would say. This is not because most of them are economically conscientious, but rather, they do not have the money to spend to afford such a lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete